Are you highly motivated, have a strong background in computer science, web development, and visualization, and enjoy solving difficult problems? Would you look forward to working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary research environment that requires collaboration as well as the ability to work independently? Are you interested in working for a company that values dedication in the workplace, and appreciates the importance of creating an optimal work-life balance? If this sounds like your next job, we would like to talk with you about joining the Algorithms, Modeling & Assessments Division .
Algorithms, Modeling, and Assessments Division (AMA) is seeking a Web/Data Visualization Developer with a background in science, web development, and the ability to create compelling visualizations from data. Your day-to-day tasks will include working with senior staff to develop software packages for the web and will support all aspects of software development, from the creation of user interfaces to producing visual presentations of results. This is a hybrid position with potential flexible office hours/days.
Examples of problems that will require solving include but are not limited to geospatial data processing and analysis, creating graphs and other ways to display large datasets, and visualizing effects of various health effects from Chemical, Biological, Radiological, or Nuclear (CBRN) exposure. In this role, you will develop and document new codes by working alongside modelers and mathematicians in a dynamic and collaborative team environment to modify existing and prototypical modeling and simulation software tools, and developing and executing tests. Software projects can range in size, from simple computational calculators to large, integrated modeling packages and web applications.
Your demonstrated experience developing web-based applications including Django, and broad experience using scripting and compiled languages, especially Java and Python will be necessary for this role along with familiarity with the design and development of graphical user interfaces (GUIs). You should enjoy collaborating with technical teams and, in particular, solving difficult problems and also be independent, self-motivated, and eager to learn new skills.
What youll do as a Web/Data Visualization Developer:
- Develop Django-based web applications to set up, execute, and visualize the results of various models across a wide range of health effects
- Work with clients to ensure their ideas come to life in dynamic web pages
- Create visualizations based on model-generated data sets
- Take responsibility for increasingly difficult tasks, completing them on schedule while documenting and presenting the results
- Work with senior developers within a collaborative team environment and support cross-functional product development
Web/Data Visualization Position Requirements:
- Due to the work youll perform, you must be a US citizen and eligible to apply for and hold a US security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment)
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or related field) and 5-7 years of experience ORMS degree with 3-5 years of experience in web development and visualizations
- Demonstrated proficiency in web application development, particularly using Django
- Demonstrated proficiency in scripting programming languages such as Python
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating visualizations from large data sets
- Willingness to learn new technologies as needed
Web/Data Visualization Position Preferences:
- Familiarity with Angular JS, Leaflet, and other web technologies is desirable
- Experience with one or more Integrated Development Environments such as Eclipse, IntelliJ, or Visual Studio
- Experience with Docker and containerization of code
- Experience with PostgreSQL or other databases is a plus
- Experience with Windows and Linux operating systems
- Experience with parallel computing (e.g., PVM, MPI, OpenMP, GPU) is a plus
- Active DoD security clearance is a strong plus
This is a hybrid role but not fully remote as you get to play with cutting and bleeding edge technologies and equipment. The role affords you the opportunity to be involved from concept to completion on projects so you get to see full life cycle not just one portion of the project. The experience is beyond rewarding from a personal and career standpoint. You get to be front and center on projects and will have opportunity to present not only to team members but project stakeholders and management. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the companys success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).