A large dairy operation located in California is searching for a hands-on, experienced Dairy Manager who is passionate about the dairy industry. The Dairy Manager is responsible for the oversight, supervision, and performance of the entire dairy herd. This includes animal care, as well as communicating in house facility repair and maintenance as needed. Must be willing to work extra hours as needed. There is some field and crop work with this position. Able to speak Dairy Spanish.
- Plan, direct, delegate and perform daily chores in a timely and organized fashion. This includes the following:
- Expected start time is 5 AM every day.
- Monitoring milkers to make sure they are maintaining proper milking procedures.
- This includes verifying that all milking equipment in performing properly daily.
- Animal feeding is at optimal feed efficiency, feed quality and accuracy by monitoring feed bunks regularly as well as feed intake.
- Monitoring and ensuring that feed is pushed up regularly or every 3 hours minimum.
- Calves and heifers fed, and cared for by following proper protocols and antibiotic efficiency.
- This includes timely breeding to ensure optimal herd growth.
- Have herd health knowledge.
- This includes overseeing a successful transition period to avoid early disappearance of fresh cows.
- Maintaining (or decreasing) a 12.0% Sold & Dead < 90 DIM early disappearance rate of all lactating cows.
- Proper sanitation is always carried out.
- Strive to Increase herd pregnancy rate.
- Achieving and improving on a minimum of a 23% Annual Preg Rate (as calculated by DC 305).
- Perform pregnancy checks and Al as needed.
- Maintain a high-quality dairy herd.
- Identify and respond to health and proper treatment protocols, maintain a clean and healthy animal environment by maintaining freestalls, calf hutches and bedding as needed.
- Train, develop, schedule, and supervise the dairy farm employees to carry out the required day-to-day dairy farm duties.
- Be responsible for ensuring that milk meets current County and State laws.
- Maintain or exceed a minimum of 88 lbs. of milk per cow, per day.
- Current milk production is 92 lbs. per cow.
- Be able to work alone as well as in a team environment with a strong sense of accountability.- Must be an effective communicator. This includes verbal, as well as written communication.
- Communication will primarily be via verbal communication, but also includes communication via email and or text.
- Attend and lead employee meetings.
- Analyze situations and solve problems efficiently.
- Must have a strong work ethic.
- Keep an accurate record of equipment maintenance.
- Maintain employee time cards.
- Willing to perform additional tasks not included above.
- Previous Dairy Management experience
- Strong work ethic
- Passionate about the dairy industry
- Large herd experience (1500+)
- Strong Leadership / motivational skills
- Time Management skills
- Organizational skills
- Field / crop experience
- Dairy Spanish
- Ability to AI Breed
- Ability to preg check is a plus
- Basic maintenance experience on facility, dairy and wheeled equipment.
Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Dairy Manager position - California
$60,000 - $80,000
Salary Type : Annual Salary
Salary Min : 60000
Salary Max : 80000
Currency Type : US Dollars