Provides leadership, supervision, coordination and direction for all plant operations in the production facility to ensure conformance to quality standards, meeting delivery targets and financial goals while promoting safety and environmental compliance.
Ensures optimal production and process improvements for Beaumont processes: Methyl Mercaptan, Ethyl Mercaptan, Dimethyl Sulfide, Acrolein, and MMP. Responsible for operating and improving the plant in a safe and environmentally responsible manner that complies with 100% all applicable regulatory requirements.
People: Indirect and Direct Responsibility for supervision of Production Superintendents, Hourly Process Operators, Maintenance Safety Coordinator, hourly Shippers, Production Engineers and Logistics Coordinator.
Financial: Position is responsible for managing plant operations efficiencies and effectiveness related to meeting production and logistics budgets. Responsible to ensure that production is at the lowest possible cost by monitoring raw material, waste generation and utilities usages. Proposes and ensures implementation of improvements to minimize the production costs.
Safety and Environment: 25%
- Ensure that all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated and corrective actions implemented.
- Ensure that all department members follow required HES training.
- Demonstrate commitment to HES matters through high visibility and actions.
- Ensure completion of department action items.
- Ensure timely supplies of data necessary to support Environmental needs (permit application, episodic releases estimates).
- Establish short- and long-term production forecast through participation with Business Team and ensure that production is met with Safety and Environmental compliance as top priorities.
- Prepare, monitor and control monthly budget
- Participate in Sales and Operations Planning meeting meetings and produce a 12-month forecast to Headquarters
- Coordinate Production with planned and unanticipated maintenance activities and Turnarounds
- Monitor daily production, shipping activities, product quality and direct adjustments to production and shipping plans as appropriate.
- Ensure continuous evaluation and implementation of improvements.
- Prepare daily production and monthly OAU reports to corporate.
- Serve as site primary contact with Customers
Department Staff Management: 15%
- Direct and lead the members of the Production and Shipping groups to ensure the safe and efficient operations of the process units and customer deliveries.
- Serve as a coach and mentor to the department personnel
- Motivate workforce through visibility and direct contact to ensure maximum safety and productivity
- Counsel on performance as appropriate
- Identify skills development and training needs to maintain highly competent department personnel.
Assist Plant manager and serve as a backup to Plant Manager, Engineering and Projects Manager as required. Act as media contact as required. 10%
- HSE responsibilities include but are not restricted to those outlined in Leadership expectations such as reporting any incident in a timely manner.
- Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, Safe-Start, etc.)
- Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
Job holder is faced with the following challenges:
- Inventory control for product turnarounds or maintenance shutdowns is subject to uncertain demand requirements.
- Direct responsibility for hourly workforce and role of Team Manager requires substantial time that must be prioritized among other responsibilities.
- High level of communication must be maintained from Top business leaders through first line Operators.
- Daily coordination with corporate supply chain, customer service, and logistics groups.
Continuous 24/7 monitoring of Plant HSE and production status for all products.Qualifications:
- BS in Engineering or related field with 10+ years experience and responsibilities in the manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated personnel management and organizational skills, ability to shift priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to communicate with hourly workforce, business leaders, customers and companys technical organization. Previous experience managing direct/indirect reports will be a plus.
- Excellent judgment and problem analysis skills are required as well as tolerance for stress.
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot chemical process operations in order support effective operations.
- Highly motivated team player able to work at a fast pace.
- Demonstrating Tenacity and Perseverance, Driving for Results, Managing Risk
- Critical Thinking, Making Accurate Judgments and Decisions, Solving Complex Problems
- Committed to Safety, Communicates Effectively, Delivers Results, Upholds Company Values
- Holds Self and Others Accountable, Budgets/Cost Control, Managing Performance
- Sense of Urgency, People Development
- Global specialty chemicals company with unlimited growth and career advancement opportunities.
- Profitable company; growing through acquisition.
- Market for the products produced is strong - Specialty materials produced fall into three segments - Adhesives, Advanced Materials and Coatings.
- 2020 reported sales of approximately $9B.