As Research Associate you will report to the Director of R&D and work in cooperation with the Sr R&D Engineers, conducting laboratory scale experiments with catalytic reactors. You will also help build and commission new experimental equipment and complete routine chemical analysis utilizing analytical instruments.
- Setup and run reactors and analytical equipment following operating procedures and analytical protocols developed by the Senior Research Engineer and Analytical Chemist.
- Collect process data and prepare data summaries; Observe and report trends, anomalies and unexpected results.
- Assist scientists and engineers in building, assembling, and safely operating laboratory scale reactor systems (similar to petrochemical micro-unit pilot plants).
- Troubleshoot flow reactors and instrumentation/equipment (GCs, MFCs, furnaces, etc.) and perform routine maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Participate in safety reviews and training as needed.
Minimum Background Requested:
We are looking for a Chemist excited about working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment in a company focused on novel process development.
- Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry
- Experience in an R&D environment (includes Co-ops, internship, or University Research assistants).
- Mechanical aptitude for building and setting up lab equipment and troubleshooting equipment issues.
- Familiarity with general laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Able to lift 50 lbs and work in a lab environment for extended periods.
- Must be authorized to work in the USA without sponsorship (now and in the future).
These skills will be valuable but are not firmly required:
- Has run a small pilot plant or micro-unit found in petrochemical R&D. This might be for catalyst testing, reactor kinetics studies, small process development pilot plant, etc. Can be either fixed bed or fluid bed units.
- Experience with LabVIEW
- Familiar with GC, GC-MS, TOC, KF, pH, ICP, CHNOS analyzer; Knowledge of GC and ICP methods of analysis
All new employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the protection of themselves and fellow employees.Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Become part of a team in a company that was founded to improve Environmental Sustainability through technology innovations.
- They have secured funding from many (30+) manufacturing companies that are invested in the success of this program, rather than disinterested venture capitalists or limited government grants.
- The small size of this company will allow you to become a process development expert in sustainable materials and add a nice diversity of skills to your resume.
- They are ahead of other companies when it comes to developing innovative green processes in a cost-competitive way. (Many others are developing more costly and less flexible processes.)