Process Safety Engineer
Situation in organization
- Position reports to the HES Manager with direction from the Technology Manager. Position requires direct interaction with other departmental managers, staff positions and KOP technical and safety functional resources to exchange information and ideas directly related to the success of the Memphis plant.
- This role serves as the technical lead for process safety and serves as primary source for process safety program for the Memphis site.
- Secondary responsibilities include; Support of operations by ensuring optimal process enhancements for the Memphis Plant.
- People Data: Responsible for the training of operations personnel and other staff in technical issues as it relates to process safety.
- Key Activities and responsibilities Safety/Environmental Goal: This role provides technical support for safety/environmental related regulatory requirements including OSHA, PSM, RMP, and company policies and programs (AIMS/BBS) and PSM metrics.
- Process Safety Goals (80%): Serve as the site Subject Matter Expert on PSM Identify and implement technical solutions to resolve PHA and process safety related action items Develop an evergreen system to maintain safety critical systems lists and testing frequencies.
- Facilitate Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) Develop an evergreen system to maintain the Memphis plants alarm management program.
- Support all compliance efforts related to ISO9001, 45001, 18001, RCMS certifications Provide training on PSM related topics Ensure Process Safety Information is up to date Work with project lead to ensure functional safety calculation (SIL calculation) as needed. Educate team members on the importance of Process Safety. Support operational efficiency and identify and evaluate opportunities for improvement.
- (20%) Assist HES team with field leadership for permitting, incident investigation, PSSRs and training.
- Collect data for KPI reporting and complete analysis of plant HES performance trends. Context and environment
Required Education/Qualifications /Work experience
- Bachelors in Engineering from an accredited University, Chemical Engineering degree preferred.
- 5-8 years of experience in PSM experience in chemical or petrochemical environment.
- Understanding of LOPA methodology is preferred.
- Functional safety calculation (SIL calculation) and dispersion modeling experience is preferred.
- Awareness of process safety/environmental regulations as they apply in a plant setting.
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot chemical processes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates initiative, personal drive and accountability.
- Global specialty chemicals company with unlimited growth and career advancement opportunities.
- Profitable company; growing through acquisition.
- Market for the products produced is strong - Specialty materials produced fall into three segments - Adhesives, Advanced Materials and Coatings.
- 2020 reported sales of approximately $9B.