NOTE: This position will require a stint in Germany till July of 2023. The company will sponsor trips home. Then it will be remote or at the E&C Firm they've selected till the new plant starts construction.
Must have expertise with Static/ Fixed Equipment
SCOPE OF THE JOB
The scope of the position is Global in support of a US project with dimensions utilizing international suppliers and engineering development house contractors. The position delivers results to the Titan Project through external engineering design contracts, construction contractors, project procurement team, plant engineering resources, and contract managers. The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for directing and coordinating all discipline contractor resources in support of Stage-Gate project deliverables and for establishing effective phase-specific governance structures meeting sponsor and stakeholder needs. There are 4 process areas being planned, Chlor-Alkali, EDC/VCM, PVC and OSBL.
COMPLEXITY OF THE JOB
i.e. The occupant manages vendors from different geographical regions with various financial and legal conditions, level and impact of decisions the occupant needs to make.
The job has a high level of complexity, requiring business acumen, functional project management expertise, and chemical manufacturing operations understanding. The legal and typical project structures in the multiple countries involved can be quite different having the cultural and industry capability to navigate these variations is an important layer of complexity.
- Responsible for advising the Engineering Manager, Construction Manager and Project Manager of deviations from mechanical (and piping) engineering, and/or installation standards, specifications, drawings, etc. industry codes and standards, engineering practices and applicable procedures as well as input to resolution of non-conformance.
- Ensure facilities meet all specified requirements in accordance with Companys published requirements.
- Ensure that technical quality and integrity of pressure vessel and piping system designs, fabrication/procurement installations and pre-commissioning activities for their assigned Contract Package meet Project Execution Plan Objectives and specifications as well as Company needs and requirements and are properly interpreted and implemented during engineering design, procurement/fabrication, construction and pre-commissioning.
- Provide the primary source of Mechanical Engineering (Fixed Equipment and/or Piping Systems) technical expertise and know-how that is available to project engineering managers to ensure complete appraisal of contractor performance during engineering/design, procurement /fabrication, field installation and pre-commissioning.
- Adopt, maintain and apply a set of Company procedures for technical reviews, equipment and materials of construction selection, quality, safety, and operability checks and standards for engineering design to be incorporated into contractual requirements as Detailed Design specifications and drawings.
- Adopt, maintain and apply Company mechanical (including Piping) engineering requirements in a set of supplemental standards and design practices consistent with Company engineering procedures and standards, and to provide interpretation of these for project teams during engineering/design, procurement/fabrication, construction and pre-commissioning.
- Provide expertise to ensure effective monitoring and appraisal (quality assurance) of contractor performance to ensure compliance with contractual requirements.
- Maintain and communicate to the Engineering Manager and Project Manager mechanical and piping engineering technical requirements and information to allow the Company to maintain designs and installations consistent with established standards and specifications.
- Comply with applicable Laws, Regulations and Company engineering procedures and standards.
- Maintain the highest level of engineering expertise (whether engineering office or field related) in this technical specialist area in order to carry out the initial capital investment program of the Company.
- Deal with mechanical and piping engineering issues in the field, solutions complexities, and difficulties throughout the span of the capital investment program in order to meet Company expectations.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
DESCRIBE THE INTERNAL RELATIONS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION (FUNCTIONAL AREAS)
Who? & What for?
- Project commercial lead
- Partner in early phases for growth and strategic major projects and concepts
- Businesss operations leaders
- Establishing staffing and execution plans for projects being delivered at sites (all sizes). Collaborate on effective project oversight structures.
- Project Controls team
- Capital portfolio management, forecasting, evaluations, budgeting and approvals
- Engineering Director
- Technical staffing and support for capital project
- Project Director
- Regular structured project reviews and approval reviews. Clear articulation of discipline status.
DESCRIBE THE EXTERNAL RELATIONS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION (CUSTOMERS, PROVIDERS, ASSOCIATIONS)
Who? & What for?
- High Value Engineering Centers (Globally)
- Preferred service provider for engineering, fabrication and beyond
Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Relevant postgraduate qualifications in engineering, management, project management or supervisory qualifications or equivalent
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) status.
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications in engineering, management, project management or supervisory qualifications or equivalent.
(To perform satisfactorily in this job what types of experience is required?)
- Mechanical Engineer with experience in Petrochemical/Chemical Capital Projects, supporting Front End Loading (FEL)/Front-end Engineering Design (FEED) as well as Detailed Design/Construction phases
- Significant experience (including specification, design, commissioning, startup, and maintenance) with plant layout, mechanical equipment (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, compressors, etc.) and piping systems in industrial chemical or petro-chemical processing facilities.
- Lead Discipline Engineer in capital projects >$500M (owner side)
- Familiar with applicable engineering code requirements and standards (OSHA, ASME, ANSI, API etc.) including specific design & evaluation experience with such documents.
- Working in a multicultural team
- 10+ years of experience in the Chemical Process Industry or similar industry.
(To perform satisfactorily in this job what types of qualification or knowledge are required?)
- Highly effective technical and practical engineering skills and ability to consistently deliver quality, accurate and timely work to the site, engineering contractor team and the Engineering Manager.
- Strong leadership, organization, and technical knowledge especially regarding management of engineering contractor.
- A sound knowledge of the fundamental requirements of mechanical engineering, and the basic requirements of other engineering fields.
- A sound knowledge of applicable local and international standards and statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Experience with owner and operator
- Competent use of mechanical engineering specific software.
- Competent use of relevant software such as MS Office Suite.
- Substantial technical and practical experience in mechanical engineering in the Petrochemical, Chemicals or similar industry including experience in working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience with packaged equipment.
- Experience in equipment manufacturing and testing.
- Experience in equipment installation and start-up.
- Interfacing with suppliers, contractors and construction.
- Coordinate review of all engineering aspects of package unit suppliers documents.
- Front-End Loading (FEL) and full lifecycle PMI methodologies
- Earned Value Management implementation
(Briefly state the job's overall objective)
The Mechanical Engineer provides mechanical and piping design expertise for the mega capital project at domestic, project site and international locations of safe, operable, economical and environmentally sound designs through engineering and construction contractors to deliver a key strategic growth business objective.Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Brand New $2BB plant being built. Tremendous Growth Opportunity
Salary Type : Annual Salary
Salary Min : 140000
Salary Max : 180000
Currency Type : US Dollars