Growing solar company seeking a Project Engineer with 5 to 10 years of experience in utility scale solar power plant design & construction to join our team. The primary responsibility of the Project Engineer will be to support the Project Delivery Manager in overseeing the successful hand-over of utility scale solar projects from development to construction and then to provide oversight & technical management during construction through final completion. The Project Engineer will be responsible for reviewing contract technical documents and drawings during the EPC bidding and design phase & managing the project through construction. The role entails responding to requests for information (RFIs) and coordinating with external and internal subject matter experts to answer design & construction related project questions. The successful candidate will have a broad knowledge of utility scale solar design and construction and will be responsible for ensuring all projects meet the standards and specifications outlined in the Contract Documents for each project. The Project Engineer will also be responsible for the coordination and delivery of design drawings and technical documents from all engineering disciplines to ensure each project remains on schedule. The successful candidate will have direct experience in construction of solar PV systems, from the panel (module) DC side, through the inverter, to the collector substation.
- Responsible for managing the technical engineering aspects solar projects from development through design and construction, followed by project Final Completion (FC) and closeout.
- Collaborate with the Project Delivery Manager to develop and implement project execution plans, schedules, and budgets for utility scale solar projects.
- Manage EPC companies during the bidding, design and construction process to effectively triage and respond to Requests for Information (RFIs) while coordinating with internal and external engineering resources.
- Monitor project progress, identify potential risks and issues, and develop mitigation strategies to ensure project objectives are achieved on time and within budget.
- Provide technical expertise and support in all aspects of project implementation, including procurement, construction, commissioning, and hand-over to operations.
- Develop scope of work documents, specifications, and technical exhibits in response to project specific conditions or equipment needs.
- Coordinate and liaise with internal stakeholders, contractors, suppliers, and regulatory authorities to facilitate seamless project execution and compliance with all relevant standards and regulations.
- Provide coordination for collector substation and switchyard design and construction activities.
- Review appropriately detailed electrical construction drawings for streamlined communication with Internal Departments, External Consultants, Permitting Agencies, Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), Contractors, and Utilities.
- Work as liaison between EPC engineering firms and other parties to ensure compliance with all applicable contractual obligations, code requirements, Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) requirements, and industry accepted engineering and design practices.
- Negotiate and finalize the technical aspects of critical design and contract documents during the EPC bidding and contracting process.
- Prepare and review technical reports, documentation, and progress updates for internal and external stakeholders.
- Review contractor equipment submittals to acknowledge compliance with IFC drawings.
- Provide recommendations and/or mitigation measures to resolve all risks, costs adders, and anticipated construction issues during the EPC design process, prior to construction mobilization.
- Facilitate communication between all project engineering disciplines (electrical, civil, geotechnical, structural, and mechanical, instrumentation and controls) to identify and resolve design and construction issues.
- Work with Owners Engineers and EPCs to coordinate review and finalization of design drawings per contract requirements.
- Assist in managing Independent Engineer requests during the initial financing phase of the project and during construction to support financing milestones.
- Interface with Independent Engineer to ensure reports are accurately created and provided to internal stakeholders on time.
- Review contract deliverables from third parties to maintaining project schedules and project milestones (Notice to Proceed; Mechanical, Substantial, and Final Completion)
- Assist in the coordination of project commissioning activities, including system testing, performance verification, and operational readiness.
- Assist the Project Delivery Manager in evaluating the technical aspects of Change Orders.
- Bachelors degree in engineering (preferably electrical, mechanical, or renewable energy-related fields). Advanced degree or relevant certifications are a plus.
- 5 to 10 Years of electrical engineering experience is required.
- Direct experience in electrical engineering design and construction.
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering electrical codes and standards (NEC, IEEE, ASTM and others)
- Must be proficient and be able to redline and communicate comments on electrical drawings for utility scale solar power plants.
- Preferred design and construction knowledge of both DC and three-phase AC electric systems.
- Electrical Record Drawing review, management, and oversight experience required.
- Familiarity with project management software and tools (e.g., Microsoft Project, Primavera, CAD software).
- Must have the ability to lead execution of work and resolve issues in a team environment.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to work both individually and/or in a collaborative team environment with minimal guidance.
- Must be able to manage multiple deadlines and priorities while creating and maintaining internal and external relationships with contractors and co-workers, respectively.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to coordinate and communicate work with multiple disciplines, organizations, agencies, vendors, and contractors.
- The Individual must have strong organizational skills and be able to manage multiple projects with concurrent deadlines.
- Professional Engineer license preferred.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) experience preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of Substation, Switchyard and Battery Storage design, and utility interconnection is preferred, but not required.
- 5+ years Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) project experience is highly preferred
- Knowledge of environmental and permitting requirements related to utility scale solar projects.
Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Growing solar / renewable company with more opportunities to come.