Position to fill:Structural Engineer (P Eng)
Industry Lifting Machinery
Location: Toronto East (not remote).
Salary range:$115k base is the hard ceiling. However candidates could be offered less depending on credentials and experience
Our client is an international corporation that manufactures specialized lifting equipment.They are headquartered in Toronto, where they also manufacture their products to be installed across all of North America in construction, industrial and infrastructure applications primarily.
Were looking for someone who is a strong communicator, well-rounded in structural
engineering fundamentals and can help the team devise a concept design following customer specifications and execute the structural engineering process through to production level drawings and beyond. That includes performing all structural, static, and connection detail calculations and ensuring manufacturability of structural components.
This person will champion the structural aspects of our key projects while ensuring proper communications and coordination with other disciplines including stamping drawings. A strong demonstrable capability of designing connections, including bolted and welded connections are a must. Ideally, this person has experience working in cross-functional teams that include mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic/pneumatic engineering and integration, not to mention our internal manufacturing and manufacturing subcontractors. The challenge for this individual will be to meet all structural requirements while minimizing weight and integrating with other engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, etc).
Processes at our company are fairly typical of construction/heavy manufacturing type industries wherein you will be moving through customer specifications to drawings to review and production. This may include authoring structural steel and aluminum design documents for submission to clients and government authorities as well as design delivery of solutions. As an intermediate to senior engineer, you will be not only verifying structural adequacy to code and standards requirements and reviewing/approving shop drawings and production drawings related to structural components, you may periodically draft some of these design drawings. With your strong experience in custom engineered solutions, youll be working closely with Project Managers to ensure the project design is consistent with what was sold and the project stays on budget.
Periodically, youll be providing technical assistance to the sales and business development teams during the proposal and estimation phase to help the company minimize its risk exposures and ensure we deliver the best product at the best possible price. Of course, youll also be tasked with directing and mentoring junior engineers, technologists as well as student interns, providing technical support for our field installation works teams and subcontractors and supporting the ethical, technical and operational integrity of the group. A job description would not be complete without a catch all requirement that you perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Our engineering and projects teams are highly collaborative and moves fast on executing new projects and ideas. We try out new ideas constantly, learn from them and execute again You will be a critical part in taking the project/engineering team to the next level in this position.
- 10+ years of structural engineering experience, ideally in a custom engineering or industrial machine building background
- P.Eng designation (Ontario) required as you will be a stamping engineer
- Must have experience working with structural aluminum and steel; ideally experience includes design works with concrete structures.
- Exceptional capability to timely optimize structures for weight, strength and specifications
- Bachelors degree, Masters degree and/or PhD in structural or civil engineering or other directly related engineering disciplines
- Superior communications skills in English are a must
- Strong structural and connection calculations and analysis following ANSI/AISC A360 and/or Canadian equivalents of steel and aluminum structural designs i.e. CSA-16, CSA S157
- Strong capability in determining steel and aluminum welding calculations and requirements (i.e. AWS D1.1/D1.2, CSA W47/59, etc)
- Able to complete hand calculations, additionally with Mathcad
- Strong working knowledge of AutoCAD, structural engineering software (i.e. STAAD.Pro) and MS Office products are a must.
- Experience in large machine design, infrastructure projects, manufacturing processes (like welding, machining, assembly), field experience in construction, installation or related work, are aware of building codes, structural codes
Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Large Engineering team (+/- 30 people) offering stability and career development oppoertunities.