MISSION / SUMMARY:Position reports to the senior leadership team and is responsible for developing and managing a long-term strategic capital plan for one of the largest sites in the company. Duties include creating and leading a team of project engineers and engineering services contractors charged with solving problems requiring capital solutions. This position is tasked with coordinating all facets of capital project execution in the integrated pulp and paper mill known as the West Monroe mill. Mill functional areas include two paper machines, power and recovery, recaust, 3 continuous digesters (3-Kamyr) and a fiber recycle plant.
JOB FUNCTION:Job functions include but are not limited to the following.
- Creating and fostering a team environment aligned with company values of Integrity, Respect, Accountability, Relationships, Teamwork.
- Coordinate the design and direct installation of multi engineering discipline products or plant systems with a staff of 6 project engineers, and contract engineers when necessary.
- Learn and implement Lean thinking philosophies that eliminate waste and create value for our customers.
- Improve existing capital project processes within the system of processes that make up the West Monroe mill.
- Determine feasibility of designing new plant equipment or modifying existing facilities considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Provide technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range plant and product engineering planning.
- Direct and coordinates manufacturing or building of machine improvements and/or plant systems.
- Evaluate engineering test results for possible application to developments of systems or other uses.
- Coordinate work with maintenance to troubleshoot electrical/mechanical machine problems.
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide problem solving support to the operation.
- Research and analyze design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Coordinate with the engineering staff for the design, evaluation, installation, operation, and maintenance of products, equipment, systems and processes to meet mill requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
- Investigate equipment failures and issues to help diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance department.
- Provide leadership and mentor junior department engineers to increase capabilities of the engineering team.
- Lead overall coordination for multiple project outage execution including schedule and cost control.
- Assist in developing and maintaining departmental budgets. Provide monthly reporting.
- Provide leadership and support for project standards development within the mill.
- SAP software experience is a plus.
- AutoCad drawing software experience.
- Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Project, Word, and PowerPoint
- Critical thinker, with strong analytical abilities.
- Design skills, presenting technical information.
- Customer focus
- Excellent leadership skills to develop a team of project engineers that provide overall coordination to multi project multi discipline scenarios.
BACKGROUND / EXPERIENCE:
- 7-10 years manufacturing experience in heavy industry with paper manufacturing experience preferred.
- 7-10 years capital project management experience.
- Project management and leadership skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple, complex tasks.
- Must be able to create an environment that fosters and enables continuous improvement of processes within the manufacturing system.
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Solid planning, leadership, and administrative skills.
- Proven experience in process improvement and project management skills.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Louisiana is a plus.
Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Need a high potential individual. This is a position which will be high visibility and be rewarded by results. Great relocation. Solid benefits.
30% bonus and stock options.